Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Audible & Guy Kawasaki

Do audio book tapes make sense in this day and age?

YES YES YES.

Being a mom of a 20 month old and 5 month old and holding down a full time job at an ad agency, time is something I just don't have a lot of these days and my reading list these days is made up of books by Dr. Seuss and Eric Carle.

I used to read a lot and took pride in reading the latest and greatest and boy do I miss it. At the beginning of this year I resolved to read more. As March rolled around, my list of books to read increased but time continuously decreased, making me all the more frustrated. BUT, I figured where there is a will, there is a way and I'll just read at night when the baby is sleeping. Yah right. When the baby is sleeping, yours truly is also sleeping.

Then I remembered something my wise sister mentioned to me years ago, this lovely little company called Audible. Digital books. She raved back then how great they were and there was always some cd or the other playing in her car (before the iPhone days).  I didn't understand - perhaps because back then I had time to read (or could stay awake long enough to read).

Guy Kawasaki recently came out with a brilliant book called Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds and Actions. I wanted to read it so badly and it was really frustrating to me that I couldn't find time or energy to read it.

This is what drove me to Audible.

I have a 45 minute drive into work. I spend most of that commute listening to either traffic reports, news or music. It's getting old real fast because there is always traffic (do I really need to hear that the Pike is backed up due to a rollover again?), I see the news in the morning while getting dressed and in the evening while I'm getting dinner ready and I listen to music through out the day. I needed more.... (cue clouds parting and light shining through).

Audible has saved the day for me. In this day and age where everything is digital, everything is on your smart phone, so much is possible that wasn't before.  Why the hell wasn't I embracing it?! I'm blaming it on sleep deprivation.

So now I have at least 90 minutes of daily book time with my favorite authors Monday-Friday. Thank you Audible.

Now a quick note on Guy. You will hear me mention him a lot. Ever since I saw him speak at a conference back in 1999, I have been hooked. For those of you who don't know him - he was part of the original team back in 1984 responsible for evangelizing the Macintosh computer. Today he's a successful VC, blogger and responsible for sites like Alltop and Truemor.

If you ever get the chance to see him speak, do so, but in the meantime read (or listen) to his recent book Enchanted. In summary, it’s about learning how to make people fall in love with you, your brand, and what you’re all about – then stay lifelong fans and become brand ambassadors. You don't have to work for a big brand to read this book - it applies to everyone at every level in whatever position you may be.

This book is very well organized and the personal stories truly bring the words to life. Yes I have been "enchanted." Add this one to your reading (or listening!) list.

No comments:

Post a Comment